Rooster crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rifle2601, Dec 4, 2010.

1. rifle2601

rifle2601 New Egg

Oct 27, 2009
    My rooster starting crowing about 1 month ago and won't stop crowing & even crows at night

2. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    welcome to BYC!

and also, welcome to having a rooster [​IMG]

they crow when they want to, not just in the mornings

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Yep, that's a rooster.

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I haven't seen a single one of mine only crow in the mornings. Sometimes, they'll have a "crow off" as I call it and they'll go back and forth crowing about 30 times each--it's hilarious!! Thank goodness I have a neighbor that enjoys it almost as much as I do [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    For the night crowing - be sure there's not a light shining somewhere that he can see from the coop at night.

6. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Only in Hollywood do Rooster exclusively crow in the mornings. [​IMG]

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:Noises too. Our Mercury light shines into the coop, but at night, if DH opens a window or goes outside to pee if DD is taking a bath, our EE cockerel will crow

8. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Yup, both my roos just started to crow about a month ago and its nonstop, mostly by the bigger boy. but i have noticed that if its after dark and we turn on the bathroom light, which is next to the coop, he starts to crow! i guess this is normal! I think i need a curtain!! my upstairs neighbors dont mind the noise... and im not really sure how the others feel about it [​IMG] but the boys are here to stay so i hope they dont mind! luckily we live in a small neighborhood that has ag. zoning! yeah for rooster!! [​IMG]

9. streetglide

streetglide Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    They are fantastic watch dogs! They also have REALLY good eyesight. When my boy crows I know there is a reason... I can't always find the reason, but he see's something!

10. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    They seem to shock crow like a turkey shock gobbles. I'll yell at my dogs and they'll crow. Bang on the coop shutting the pop door and they crow. So far only my Welsummers are crowing regularly. I haven't seen my RIR roos crow. I saw one of my Orloffs try to crow today. He needs voice lessons.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by