Rooster crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Prisserbabe, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    what age do roosters start crowing?

2. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

3. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    We just got our chicks before Easter this year. Our "rainbow layer" [​IMG] started "crowing" at 3 months. We won't be getting many eggs from him! He is really quiet though. Only when I let them out in the morning and once in a while during the day will he crow. At first it was like a gargling sound [​IMG] it was too funny to hear I almost felt sorry for him. He's gotten better at it. I love to hear him crow. Makes me feel like I'm on a farm. I guess because he's mine it's not annoying at all.[​IMG]

4. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    I've got one crowing at nine weeks. He actually sounds pretty good too. Doesn't have the whole "Cock-a-doodle-doo" thing going yet but he's sounding better all the time. [​IMG]

5. Juiced10

Juiced10 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    Syracse, NY
    I've got a banty that never seems to stop crowing! He doesn't bother me but the hubby is ready to cook him. [​IMG]

6. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    My Production Red tried it out at about 10 weeks and really hasn't crowed in the three weeks since. Good thing, as he's to go live with other chickens, and crowing is one of the main reasons.

7. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    I would love to hear my rooster crowing everyday! but its illegal where I live so once he starts crowing I have to get rid of him [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've had several crow as early as five DAYS old. Some of my latest youngsters began at 8 weeks old (D'Anvers bantams), but I have a 15 week old breeder quality Barred Rock who hasn't started yet. It's entirely individual.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by