Rooster crowing???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by justlearning, Jul 19, 2011.

1. justlearning

justlearning Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Ok my rooster officially started crowing yesterday. He keeps doing this throughout the day. Is this normal or is he just getting used to his voice? We live one block outside city limits so technically can have chickens--but also do not want to upset anyone and then be told that we have to remove them due to noise. If I know that typically they settle down with the crowing after a few days that is fine but if it is going to continue he will need to be rehomed or become dinner.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Roosters crow at anytime. I have a small bantam roo that crows mostly in the morning, but he will crow in the afternoon as well, just not as much. Some breeds I think are more of a crower type than others. [​IMG]

3. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    He's probably just showing off his new talent! My roos crow a lot, but I think that's because I hae several and that's one way for them to compete with each other. He may calm down and not crow quite so much after awhile. Maybe someone else knows more about this.

4. justlearning

justlearning Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    He's an Americana.

5. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

That's normal, they do it when they get hungry, want to let everyone know they are there, feel a threat, want to mate, etc, some just do it more than others, but they don't just do it the one time in the morning like tv shows and cartoons led us non farm people to believe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by