Rooster crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by XilverAngel, Sep 17, 2011.

1. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Songster

Jun 28, 2009
    Is there any way to get rid of it, or to minimize it at least? We live in an urban area, and cannot have roosters (because they are loud) but I reallly want to keep one... :[ Is it possible??

2. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    My only suggestion is maybe a bantam rooster. smaller voice box= quitter crow.

3. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Songster

Jun 28, 2009
    Oh really? Is that true? I didn't know that. [​IMG] Bantam roosters still mate with regular sized hens though, right?

4. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    yeah they'll do the deed just fine

5. M.sue

M.sue Songster

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    They'll do the deed but may not be successful each time. lol I have a Bantam Roo and it's funnier than heck to see him with those standard size girls. Now with the little Bantam gal he's successful each time. As for his crow, well I don't know. Mine crows whenever he feels like it and it's not so quiet!! My uncle 1/4 mile down the country road can hear him each time. Doesn't bother him, he was raised with chickens!

6. dainerra

dainerra Crowing

Jun 4, 2011
    yeah, banty roosters aren't known for being "quiet" that I know of. They can be heard from quiet a distance away. Shoot, even my hens can be heard several houses away when they're singing their egg song.

7. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    I didn't mean quite, I meant quieter than a standard size rooster. [​IMG]

8. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Songster

Jun 28, 2009
    Aha, well according to the other replies, it seems like even a Bantam rooster might be too loud... [​IMG] that's a bummer..

9. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Songster

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    We have several roosters, and of all of them, the Polish roosters have the least loudest crow.

10. CammieSilkie

CammieSilkie In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i have a bantam rooster, trust me. hes louder than any rooster ive ever heard before -.- and hes a silkie, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by