1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AimsChickies, Sep 13, 2008.

1. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    Does anyone happen to know the age when roosters generally begin to start crowing?

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:My rooster starts crowing when he became almost 5.5 months old,but because h never seen another roostewhenhe was real young,how ever my neaibour rases a lot of chickens and he has real young roosters they almost start crowing with 4 months old.So it depends.
    Omran

3. mamachickn

mamachickn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2008
    Little Suamico, WI
    My rooster is almost 6 mo. and hasent crowed yet. (hope he never starts!)[​IMG]

4. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Man I wish I had your rooster. Ours started attempting to crow (I think) about three to three and a half months. His cluck started get deeper and in the morning he would try hard to figure it out. Still, he has not got the entire thing down. He cock-a-doooooo's he hasn't figured out his doodle yet [​IMG] and he is already six months. So I don't know if he will ever crow properly. That's ok though, he is unique [​IMG] Also, he has started making gobbling sounds, mabye he is half turkey [​IMG] He is huge.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  5. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    My mottled houdan started crowing at like 8 weeks, mating at 3.5 to 4 months, but my barred rock was gender confused until almost 6 months old. I thought I had mistaken him for a hen, but that comb and those wattles couldn't be that large that soon for a hen. Sure enough, it was a boy, but he didn't mate or crow until wwwaaaaayyyyy later than the MH.

6. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I had one that crowed at about a week old, and another that I'm still waiting on after 6 months. Roosters are exceptionally aggravating about keeping you on your toes about the crowing issue.

7. PAJerry

PAJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Waterford, PA
    My black Cochin rooster started crowing at 13 weeks. He was an 'extra' sent by the hatchery along with my 10 hens. He is very loud and very large.

8. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Rebecca, that is one beautiful rooster tail.

9. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine started around 3 months, or I should say he started to TRY. He sounded more like a kazoo, it was pitiful, but hilarious. It took him several weeks of brushing up before he sounded "real".

10. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Those early attempts always make me chuckle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by