Rooster Crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fern Valley 4H, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Fern Valley 4H

Fern Valley 4H Out Of The Brooder

Hi, I know what a common issue this is, but just looking for more specific advice. Basically my "pullet" has turned into a cockeral, he is a blue andalusian that i raised as a chick and I love him so much. My dad however says he has to go (live somewhere else, not be killed luckily), because he crows early in the morning. I do live in a suburban neighborhood where roosters are legal. I was wondering if there are any tips for changing his crow schedule, i am willing to wake up in the night and/or earlier in the morning before dawn if there anything I can do to make him crow later in the day (after 8 ideally), but I dont know what i can do. Any success in changing rooster crow patterns? I love my roo his name is Faulkes and his crow is so cute to me, i really dont want to have to give him away :(

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You can try keeping him in a dark place so he down't see the sunrise til 8. No guarantees, but maybe it's worth a try.

3. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    My rooster crows at 4am even when its pitch dark. Luckily I live out in the country and he doesn't bother anybody. My friend lives in the suburbs where they have a "No Rooster" rule. Actually it may be a "No Chickens" rule but she has them anyway. She bought a No-Crow collar for her rooster and she said it made his crow quieter. I think she got it from My Pet Chicken or something like that. Might be worth a shot. I've never used one on my roo but I know she would never use anything inhumane. She's a huge animal lover.

4. cblaese

cblaese Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    try to keep as dark as possible.. i realized my outside motion light would come on when i let dog out no matter what time.. once light out he didnt crow... yup pup now goes out if too early in dark.. i heard collars work i personally never used on.. good luck i hope he gets quiet soon..

5. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

I put a small box over my rooster so he can't see light or lift his head properly and if they can't lift their head they usually can't crow! And they also think that it's still night in the dark box! But be careful that it can breathe!

6. Fern Valley 4H

Fern Valley 4H Out Of The Brooder

Thanks everyone, i am looking into a collar hopefully

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Be careful there have been some posts here recently about them dying with them.

8. cblaese

cblaese Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    ive seen on this site the posts .. you should check them out .. alot of ppl know about them and have really good info about them too..:)..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by