Rooster crows ALL day and night!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kingfrodo, Jan 20, 2014.

1. kingfrodo

kingfrodo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2013
    Enterprise, AL
    I purchased/acquired a BEAUTIFUL EE Roo this weekend. [​IMG]

I now have a trio of Orpingtons and EE. They are in seperate pens but can hear each other.

My Orp roo is a crow once or twice in the morning and he's done.

This EE Roo crows ALL day and night non stop! [​IMG]

Is it b/c he is in a new place and he'll hopefully stop soon?

I can't listen to him all night...I need sleep!

any advice is welcome. [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Roosters need to stand completely up to crow. So what you can do is at night, keep him in a cage or place, that he can not stand completely erect. If this cage only had a roost bar in it and all he can do is only stand enough to reposition himself and not stand up completely, he won't be able to crow. At least this is the theory. :)

Good luck with your roo and I hope you get some sleep soon!

3. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    LOL, I have 9 Roosters out in the coop right now... 7 of which are heading to freezer camp this month. I recently hurt my back again and like always when this happens I am up and down all night, our coop is at the back of our acre of property so when sleeping I don't hear the Roosters, that night I heard them all night, they were going at it at 2am and through out the night...
    It may be that your new Roo just needs to settle in and get accustomed to his surroundings... We just put the Pullets (including the roos) in the big house with the adults so I assumed that was the issue.

4. kingfrodo

Nov 22, 2013
    Enterprise, AL
    Thank you for the replies. I think I'll give him the rest of this week to get acclimated and then if he doesnt stop I'll try the small cage at night plan.

[​IMG]

5. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    I bet that's why he's crowing...not being with the girls? My rooster has 10 ladies and if things aren't exactly the same every night he will crow. Other then that he maybe crows 1-2 times every 6 months at night.

6. kingfrodo

Nov 22, 2013
    Enterprise, AL
    He's with his two EE girls, I meant the trios are seperated so they can't see each other. sorry if that was confusing. Sometimes it makes sense in my head but that is it. [​IMG]

today he seemed to crow a little less......I think. We'll see how he does tomorrow. [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    He needs some time to adjust to the move. I hope he settles down for you soon.

8. Ciqala

Ciqala Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I have two black australorp roosters, bought at the same time from the same place {I assume they're brothers} and they are night and day in all ways. My sweetest rooster crows all the time, the alpha one only if something is up or not right in his opinion. The one that crows all the time did not crow much when he was younger, but oh boy when he learned how lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by