Rooster damaging hens backs

ranmar

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 27, 2011
I have one Barred Rock rooster, two BR hens and a Buff Orpington hen (started with 6 chicks, 3 of each. racoon got 2 BO. Have since fortified pen). The BR hens have lost the feathers just above their tails and are getting pretty beat up from the rooster doing his thing. We are getting 3 eggs a day (+ or -), which is pretty good and works for us. My question is this: I like the rooster but am thinking of getting rid of him. It looks like most folks heve a rooster around. If we are not planning on hatching our eggs, why should I keep a rooster? The hens will lay without his input. I saw another post that said the nutritional value of fertilized eggs was the same as non- fert eggs; the difference from home grown and store bought is diet/conditions.
So, do I need to keep the rooster?

Rare Feathers Farm

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pleasant Valley, (Okanogan) WA
My Coop
My Coop
I've never heard anything about the nutritional value of fertilized vs. non-fertilized eggs being any different. The ONLY practical reason to have a rooster is if you want chicks. Otherwise, there is no real "need" for one. Usually, it's about 1 rooster for every 10-12 hens. He will always have a "favorite" that he will devote most of his attention to. If he's otherwise a sweet rooster--trim his nails, the tip of his beak and get some good-quality hen saddles.

AKsmama

Songster
9 Years
Jun 20, 2010
South Carolina
The rooster also watches for predators while the flock free-ranges, but if you don't free-range, don't want chicks, and can't or won't get more hens, then there's no real reason to keep him.

ranmar

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 27, 2011
Thanks for the input. They will be doing some free-ranging soon. I might need to keep him as the defender (Super Chicken?).

Top Bottom