1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Dance or Mating?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jan336, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Jan336

Jan336 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two silver dorking roosters, and one hen. Today I introduced 2 more hens. One of the newer hens attacked my original hen. Then, my roosters started flapping their wings, shaking their feathers, and then would do a sideways dance and ram into the new hens sideways!! Is my rooster retarded, trying to show who is boss, or trying to mate??? Any concerns with this behavior? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  2. chickenlady81

chickenlady81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    Weare, NH
    Sounds like its the mating dance...If she is down for it...she will squat for the roo to mount her...Its pretty funny to watch and the whole process takes no more than 15 seconds.. [​IMG]

3. Jan336

Hmmmm......I dunno.........LOL:/

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Both mating and dominance behaviors are going on, but they're interconnected. It's all about sorting out the pecking order. Usually it's best to let it happen, as it's unavoidable anyway, and not intervene unless there's blood.

5. chicken burger

chicken burger Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2010
    was so sweet, my Roo has been extremely hormonal lately and his little hen will have nohting to do do with him! I stepped into the run to give the thier feed and he stepped on his wing at ME! Lol. He's a little dutch bantam and I did mention the fact that I have no feathers and that I am 100 x his size. He wasn't ammused, but has danced for me again! [​IMG]

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Watch this behavior-his next move may very well be to take a whack at you.
    First wing drop, they get a whack from me so they know I'm not one of their hens and will not submit to them.
    Not trying to be a buzzkill and he may never try to flog/spur you-just wanted to let you know how it COULD go.

7. Jan336

Well, since introducing the two new hens....the 2 roosters have seemed to have paired up. My original hen is playing patrol, and refuses to let the other hens past the run into the coop. It is sad, but kind of funny to watch her protect her rooster. I think there is a love triangle thing in the air, with a bit of jealousy. I almost think I should cancel my cable television, and go install a camera out in the coop! LOL [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  8. Jan336

Quote:Watch this behavior-his next move may very well be to take a whack at you.
    First wing drop, they get a whack from me so they know I'm not one of their hens and will not submit to them.
    Not trying to be a buzzkill and he may never try to flog/spur you-just wanted to let you know how it COULD go.

Yeah, the roosters seem to be paired up. They both play guard like in basketball when I come around the coop and protect their hen. They are almost giving me a "warning" -->[​IMG] and have never seen this look in their eyes or behavior before!

9. Jan336

This is exactly what he is doing. This is not my video or chickens, but this sideways thing is it!

10. powerline

powerline Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    He is strutting for the hens. This is a dominance display.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by