Rooster dance

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cochin44, Apr 6, 2009.

1. cochin44

cochin44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    St. Amant, LA
    What's it called when the rooster "peels out" in a circle around a hen?

So funny to see!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I just call it the rooster dance.
    What I love is that my rooster has long beautiful hackle feathers and if the girls misbehave he gives them stink eye and fluffs out his hackle feathers to resemble a lion's mane at the same time. You can almost hear the girls thinking oh! ****!

3. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    "Rooster dance" sounds good to me [​IMG]

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Rooster dance or funky chicken

5. cochin44

cochin44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    St. Amant, LA
    A judge once told me it's called "bowing" (like "boeing")

6. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    My rooster just recently became...mature...for lack of better word to use on a family forum, haha. He started dancing for every hen, for my legs (!), for our outdoor cat, and even around the other rooster! He is a huge buff Brahma, and the girl he wants the most is my little crested Crevecoeur. I'm kind of scared for her. Watching him court the girls and try to mount them and seeing all of their reactions has been the best thing that's happened on chicken TV so far. It's hilarious.

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard it said as the 'Wing Waltz'. That's what I call it formally when I'm not talking to BYCers. xD

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:My Thor, also a brahma, was that way about Lil' Bit my runt chick. He pretty much ignored all the other hens, but he was lovestruck with Lil' Bit. When she was so tiny I never let him mate her. Then one day it happened anyhow. Now she's in love with Thor. Sleeps next to Thor every night and follows him around preening his feathers.

9. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Quote:My Thor, also a brahma, was that way about Lil' Bit my runt chick. He pretty much ignored all the other hens, but he was lovestruck with Lil' Bit. When she was so tiny I never let him mate her. Then one day it happened anyhow. Now she's in love with Thor. Sleeps next to Thor every night and follows him around preening his feathers.

That's so sweet!! So far my little one has done a good job of running away from him. She's the same age as the other hens, just small for some reason. She was a tiny runt of a chick.

I noticed that my two roosters hang out together. Not sure if that's normal. They snuggle together on the roost pole every night. The other roo doesn't crow or try to mate, he just follows Big Sir around everywhere like a shadow!

By the way, Thor is a great Brahma roo name!

10. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

My pet rooster does "the dance" for me when I take him out for a walk and bug hunt. Looking down on him I get a really great view of what he is doing and I see he kicks his inside leg out toward me as he circles me, back and forth, changing direction. I call it "flip foot."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by