Rooster dance!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oldchickenlady, Aug 19, 2010.

1. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I saw Rudy do the 'rooster dance' for the first time today! He has been chasing the girls and occassionally grabbing one (of course they scream bloody blue murder), but today he sidled up to a hen, dropped a wing, and danced a little jig around her! She was not impressed...it was too funny! Hopefully, I will have my first egg in the near future. They are 16 weeks old today! Happy birthday to my chicks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have some 17 week old roos who are just starting to try to crow... but I haven't seen any get frisky with the girls.... yet

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Rudy has been crowing for a couple of weeks now, but it's just this last week that he actually sounds like he's crowing...before he sounded like he was either strangling or gargling! Then he sounded like he was yelling 'Uh uhhh' with no r sound to it. Now he sounds like a real rooster!

4. GrandmaAnn

GrandmaAnn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Wisconsin
    My chicks are almost 9 weeks old. One of the Silver Spangled Hamburg cockerels is crowing. I never had one do that so young. I have 6 cockerels.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Ya know, that Drop-Wing, Circle Hen Sideways Rooster Dance is the second cutest mating ritual in the world. Simply because it's kinda dorky. Although I suppose it's no more dorky than any fella on the dance floor.....

The absolute cutest mating ritual is the Duck & Drake Head Bob & Cross Necks Whilst Swimming maneuvers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by