Rooster dance

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sjturner79, Mar 11, 2015.

1. sjturner79

sjturner79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    I have a week old chick that is doing the rooster mating dance. Is this a sign that it might be a rooster or do all chicks do it or is it just a weird chick?

2. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

You best keep an eye on that one. Chickens are weird, which is why we enjoy them so, but that boy thing is… well I am afraid a boy thing. Did you buy pullets? Around here we have a 80 percent pullet ratio, but you can still get one unwanted from time to time. So if he is unwanted, this is perhaps a good time to look for a new home for him. But until you hear him crow, there is a chance you have a hen and not a roo. I do not know how many you have, but if you can keep track of him, that will perhaps help to determine the outcome of this.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

3. sjturner79

sjturner79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    Ty Rj we have 2 chicks hatched successful from a Batch of 15 eggs. If the bantam is a roo I'm not sure what I'll do with him as its from our flock. Our other chick is a RIR and we already have a home lined up if it's a roo, but it seemed more like a girl on my wing sex attempt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by