Rooster Death

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by spies04, Jul 22, 2013.

1. spies04

spies04 Chirping

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    I just wanted to take a minute to vent to a group who I know can sympathize. I had two roosters who were fine together for quite some time when one day, they decided they were not going to get along. I had made efforts to separate them but I felt I was not being fair to one of them who was separated more. He was a very good boy; not aggressive - just couldn't get along with the other rooster. I searched for a good family for him and thought I found a one but there was always a little something that bothered be about them. It was that I thought they would not watch over him as I would away from predators keeping him safe. But I tried talking myself out of that feeling thinking I was being too critical because I cared for him so much. And now I am so sad and guilt ridden that I did not go with my gut instinct to not let him go. He had not even been there a month when I just found out that he and the other hens had been killed by a predator. I have no idea why people cannot take the time and effort to treat their animals with the respect and love that they always show back to us. My heart aches so bad because I failed him and should have gone with my initial instinct to keep him. I know we learn from our mistakes but the pain and tears I feel for him so outweighs that learning experience.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Sorry about your circumstances. I wish the folks who took him would have provided adequate shelter. Hang in there! [​IMG]

3. spies04

spies04 Chirping

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Thank you - I am so guilt ridden right now. My only goal was to give him a better home. I will know better to trust my inner feelings.

4. pat1ron1

pat1ron1 Hatching

Jul 12, 2013
    It's really hard sometimes to keep them safe. Sorry for you.

5. Howland

Howland In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    I'm so sorry to hear. :(. I'm just getting into chickens second year now but I'm like you very aware to make things safe for my feathered family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: