Rooster debate in North Texas town

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by skya328, Jan 14, 2009.

1. skya328

skya328 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    DH found this on the local news station's website today. I hadn't heard about it until now. I just thought I'd pass it along.

http://www.wfaa.com/video/index.html?nvid=321455

I'm sure this debate happens all over the country. Luckily we don't live within any city limits. If we did, the neighbors may not like our 3 cockerels learning how to crow! [​IMG]

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    This is why I will never live within city or town limits, and I will never live in an area with covenants.

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Makes me gald I live out in the country. Besides, roosters crowing are no louder than dogs barking. [​IMG] Some people will complain about anything.

4. rozmiarek

rozmiarek Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    Worthington, OH
    I dunno how I feel about that one. I live in the city. I've got three hens, but I think roosters are a different matter.

Actually, I think any noise complaint needs to be taken seriously, whether it's a barking dog, a crowing rooster, or a loud stereo. I would be bummed to live next door to any of those.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Noise complaints should be based upon the loudness, which can easily be measured in decibels, not the cause.

Thus, if your rooster crowing/dog barking/music/power tools don't exceed xxx decibels when measured at the edge of your property you shouldn't have a problem. And if they do, you do.

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Well put.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by