1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Decrowing

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by eggsmeralda, Apr 19, 2015.

1. eggsmeralda

eggsmeralda New Egg

Apr 18, 2015
    Uh oh...I know I'll be in for some judgment for this but seeing there was a need to share my experiences with rooster decrowing, I decided to log my experiences and share with others.

Day 1: Notice in the mail from the cops, "You have 24 hours to deroosterize your home or face $1000 fine a day and or seizure of birds" Note the deadline was 5 days before I received the notice.

Back Story: I have been chickening for 4 years, cockadoodling for 3 years and now suddenly, it's a problem...

I have 2 roosters at this time; one is 3 years old, the other over 1 year. They are both well behaved, sweet boys who help take care of the hens and call for me if there's any trouble. They are bonded and married to several different hens, have relationships with them as sons, brothers, fathers and husbands. I know if given a choice, they would choose to stay with their hens. The operation has risks but we are talking about certain death vs. uncertain death.

Day 2: Take him to the vet on the shady part of town...This vet has had 30 years experience as a vet and at least 3 years experience decrowing. He told me there's a risk but I have my heart set on keeping my boys.

Day 3: Pick up. Hurray, they are both still alive! Boohoo they both seem to be in a lot of pain. The incision is in the front, about where the breastbone is. The younger one especially seems to have labored breathing and wheezes with every in and out breath. He eats and drinks a lot of water though. The older guy is quieter but doesn't look too happy and doesn't eat or drink. He wheezes too, but not as loudly.

They both can talk in their normal voices but I have not heard a single crow from either of them.

I'm really scared for the younger one through the night.

Day 4: More loud wheezing from the young one. Sounds like he's saying mama. All day long with every labored breath. He gets too excited when he sees a girl and I decided to bring him back in. Both boys are staying in their carriers but I let the older one stay outside. The hens are very curious about him, but one of his hens chases away the others away and keeps an eye on him.

As evening sets, and I am writing this, I can say both boys are recovering. I am sad that I am putting them through this suffering, but am hoping for the best.

That's it for now. I will continue to do updates on their health and vocal status.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Roosters are not allowed in many areas . The noise might be fine to you, but neighbors can get testy. I only keep hens for that reason. Don't want SHERIFF coming and telling me to get rid of my rooster. I PLAY BY THE RULES. In a nearby area, peeps cant even keep hens. It was easiest decision by that city council to just cut off all chickens.
    I suspect that ruling came about because of the potential rooster fighting. In some areas, it is unheard of ,, and in some areas, quite common. I am totally against roster fighting as well as dog fighting. Now please don;t misunderstand me. I read your reason for keeping your roosters and agree with you.
    Hope things work out for you.
    AND[​IMG]

3. KrysPel

KrysPel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2015
    Florida
    Oh wow I had no idea you could decrow a rooster, what exactly does that process entail? I totally respect your opinions and your dedication to your boys! It really sucks that people and the city gets in such a snitch about 'em! Like them uptight city/suburbia folk can't handle a little cockdoodle-doo'ing in the early morning, I always said maybe they should learn to show an appreciation for a new day like the roo's do!

Diffidently keep us updated, I can only imagine how painful it probably is to hear them wheezing, I hope their health gets stronger and their wheezing and breathing improves!!

4. Sustained

Sustained Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    I'm very interested to hear how things go. I've always heard that almost no vet will perform the surgery.

5. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I'm sure its NOT PRETTY. I looked into the possibilities and asked questions on a different thread. I found out that you can change roosters when young into CAPONS. Capons are roosters that had their testicles removed. They grow up looking different than roosters. They should not crow. Has to be done when young and still not mature. Making adult rooster not being able to crow requires adulterating their air track . Definitely not something that I would consider doing.

6. Sustained

Sustained Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    I'm sure it's not pretty. Neither is a novice trying to slit a roosters throat to bleed them out before butcher because they got a free rooster that someone needed to rehome. I'm a butcher. Have been for years. People love to stop and tell me their stories about butchering this or that. Often, the ones who got the great idea to surf the 'free to good home' ads for free meat have the more horrifying stories. I genuinely hope that most of it is exaggeration. At least these 2 guys stand a chance of a happy ending and the OP obviously cares about them.

7. eggsmeralda

eggsmeralda New Egg

Apr 18, 2015
    Thanks. I'm on Day 6 now.

Big Daddy the 3 year old rooster is doing well. He was out all day today and very quiet. He's a bit deflated but he's getting around.

I've had to keep Sonny Boy the 1 year old cockerel locked up because he gets too excited around the girls. He is still doing some kind of wheezing with every breath and today has managed to crow a few times! Yikes, but at a much lower volume and not nearly as frequently. His comb and wattles are a little bit bluish while Big Daddy's are a normal red. I really don't want him to wear himself out so I've been keeping him in.

1 person likes this.
  8. eggsmeralda

eggsmeralda New Egg

Apr 18, 2015
    Thank you for your support. They are doing better! I want to say this was not an easy decision to make.

9. eggsmeralda

eggsmeralda New Egg

Apr 18, 2015
    I hear you. It's not that I want to break the law. Actually, I am still following the spirit of the law which is to prevent cockfighting rings, and to keep the noise down. Nobody is betting on my roosters and I can tell you now that Big Daddy is still in charge.

He's a good father and helped raise his kids so Sonny Boy is just an upstart teenager to him, and he knows how to keep him in line. At this point, they each have their own wives and everyone knows who goes with whom. They are also relatively mellow roosters anyway.

I've gone through every kind of rooster unloading at this point and was just too exhausted and heartbroken to take them to a slaughterer, or find good homes in a real hurry which let me tell you almost never happens.

Rooster crowing is definitely not my favorite sound and some neighbors have complained but surprisingly more neighbors have told me they liked the sound. I have respect for animals as being their own "people" and feel their lives are worth something. I got in the chicken business because 3 chicks needed a home and then one of them turned out to be a boy, go figure...

10. eggsmeralda

eggsmeralda New Egg

Apr 18, 2015
    Yikes. Thanks for the tip about the "good" homes.

Caponizing is no guarantee they won't crow when they grow up and these guys are already grown up. When I looked into caponizing 3 years ago, they wanted $1200 for it and the only vet I could find was 100 miles away. My local vet decrowed them for $150 each. Granted, there are some traditional communities nearby that do cockfighting on the down low which is probably why he learned how to do it. However, these days, there are probably more people like me requesting it.

He has more than 30 years experience as a vet which is why I even considered it.

PS I have had amateur butchers more than once beg me to let them practice on my guys. No thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by