Rooster Demotion

marisaKC

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2019
Hi All! I have quite the flock going with several roosters living rather peacefully among the hens for the past few years. I have one huge gold laced orpington roo who is probably 3 years old. Two olandsk dwarf roosters that are maybe a quarter of his size at best (very small) and the same age as the orpington. As well as a young medium sized cochin roo. The cochin got a bit rowdy - as roosters tend to do in the spring time - and really put a whoopin on my orpington roo. The cochin went into the soup pot and my orpington is recovering nicely. The orpington has never been aggressive in the least - I think he just relied on his size and the other roosters would leave him be. But ever since the smackdown with the cochin, my orpington seems to have migrated to the very bottom of the pecking order. Even the olandsk dwarves pick on him now and he runs off to hide. My question is - do y'all think he will get his mojo back or is he destined to be a punching bag in the coop? I'm hesitant to split them up but I love my orpington and would hate for him to be overly stressed for the long-term (beyond the typical hierarchy reminders).

Back
Top Bottom