Rooster Denial

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cimarron, Jan 21, 2009.

1. cimarron

cimarron Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    We have a mixed flock of eight egg birds we've been raising since they hatched. The chicks were sexed but we've had a hunch that our Australorp is not a hen...it grew faster, developed combs and wattles at about 6 weeks and now...gulp...is making a funny moaning sound in the morning! It's about 13 weeks old now.

My question is, do roosters work their way up to crowing? Could this be a variation of development for a hen? We'd actually like to have a rooster around, but our city codes are on the strict side, especially with noise complaints from roosters. We don't want to blow our cover.

Thanks!

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Yep...roosters work their way up to crowing. It (usually) doesn't just magically happen.

I used to have a recording of one of my birds...but I can't seem to find it???

Here's a good example...although it's not my chick! lol

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  3. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, they definitely work their way up to it, and it's pretty funny!!! Enjoy!!! [​IMG]

4. Gercarson

Gercarson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    They start out sounding like school boys and then one day - the actually emit a real he-man crow. I've never heard anything that sounds like a "moan" though.

5. lcourtaway

lcourtaway Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    St. Louis Missouri
    My guy started at 2 months and it sounded like a combination of gargling and throwing up. He got better the more he practiced. My other rooster crows "backwards" it's a backward melody of the traditional cock a doodle doo thing.

6. cimarron

cimarron Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    yep just watched it...er, him...doing it again this morning. it is a funny sort of almost-crow. no cockadoodledoo yet just, "errrrrrrrrrrrr". but he looks proud! he's feeling his oats! working his way up to that first he-man crow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by