rooster diagnosed with "mouth rot"- how do I clean his mouth?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shim's mom, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Shim's mom

Shim's mom New Egg

Jan 3, 2010
    Shim, my 1 yr OE game rooster, has an injury to his upper beak, does not peck, and drools. I took him to an exotics vet for an emergency visit. Vet tech said he had "mouth rot" and said Vet prescribed baytril (.015 2x daily) and advised cleansing mouth with clean tap water and swabs.

How do I clean his mouth? What the heck is "mouth rot" ?

I should say that I have him isolated, and have been feeding moistened dog food (gravy type), apple juice, and almond milk by syringe. Any other suggestions?

2. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    I'm thinking you have to take a q-tip and get the Mouth Rot out....probably won't be easy, though.

3. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Mouth rot is inflammation of tissue in the mouth. Never did it but sounds like an eyedropper/needleless syringe for flushing the mouth and try a cotton Q-tip type thing. Good luck.

4. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    One of my hens had a spot in her mouth sorta like what you described. A good friend of mine came down and helped me with her. She just put her on her lap (this was a big bramha) and got her positioned to hold her and opened her mouth and used a q-tip to remove the gunk. This worked quite well. If you can't hold him by yourself, get someone else to hold him and you work on his mouth. Don't wait to long to get this started.

5. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    No experience with this, just wanted to suggest that you wear gloves and perhap eye protection. Rot is usually a fungus, but Baytril is an antibiotic, that means there's bugs in there. If you were planning on using gloves and I've made a superfluous suggestions, sorry.[​IMG]

Mary

6. Hennypeny

Hennypeny New Egg

Feb 20, 2016
    Isle of Wight,England
    Hi,I am treating my hen at the moment with q tip dipped in 9% solution of hydrogen peroxide which can be bought cheaply from any chemist,it is as slow process as you have to get out as much of the rotten tissue out and the smell is awful but it is great to see her being able to eat again and the odd mealworms as a treat for being co operative.I put her inside a pair of tights with the toe cut off so her head is exposed but her legs and wings are secure this helps so you have two hands to hold open the beak and wield the q tip.I have used this method with great success on snakes and reptiles with mouth rot so will be interested to see how it works with my hen.Hydrogen peroxide is amazing stuff for all cuts and even as a mouthwash,tastes disgusting and bubbles like a volcano but you feel it's doing something,I will keep updating my progress and I hope this helps keepers in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by