1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Died from Identification Leg Band

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mack1101, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Mack1101

Mack1101 New Egg

Mar 29, 2017
    I now have four hens and I had a rooster but he passed away. They will be a year old in August and they live on a farm. I have to board them there because I live several hours away. I am living near the farm all summer, but I only see them a few times in the winter.

They all have plastic colored leg bands on their legs that are supposed to expand as they grow. My hens were fine, but my rooster's leg grew over and around the band, so that only a small amount of plastic was showing. There was no open wound for a while and the issue went unnoticed.

Then I think he scratched it on something and it started to bleed a little. The other chickens pecked at him and made the wound worse. I called the vet and they told me that they do not help chickens because they are so inexpensive to buy.

Luckily, someone on the farm helped me get the band off of his leg and clean the wound with hydrogen peroxide. After the band was off he was much better and was walking on his leg and it had stopped bleeding.

I kept him isolated for several days while his leg healed and cleaned it regularly with hydrogen peroxide. After about a week, he was put back with the other chickens and his leg was almost completely healed.

After another two weeks, I went out to the barn in the morning and heard loud squawking. I went to check on the chickens and he was dead. There were no visible injuries. I feel terrible and I miss him so much. He was doing so well and he seemed healthy and happy and then he was gone.

What happened?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Mack. Sorry to hear about your rooster. I suppose it is possible that even though the wound looked healed the bird had sepsis. Problem is, sometimes a bird will pass for an unknown reason. By that I mean I am sure there is a reason but without a necropsy being performed that reason may never be known. Sorry. [​IMG]
    Also, I see this is your first BYC post. If you like, pop on over the New Members Forum and introduce yourself so we can give you a proper BYC welcome! https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/44/new-member-introductions

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by