Rooster died, hen no longer lays!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Texorps, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Texorps

Texorps New Egg

Jul 27, 2013
    On the farm!
    We raised a little Silkie hen (Tina), and added a young roo (Butchie) when she was about 3 months old. Tina was allowed to "pick" her partner from a lineup of young Silkie roosters, and she showed a definite preference for Butchie, who we brought home and the two settled in nicely. She laid an egg at least every other day for the next 5 months. All was well until Butchie was injured and died, 2 days later Tina quit laying. She seemed despondent without her buddy, so we got her a new rooster (Figaroo), who is younger than her and she liked him right away, but is still not laying. It has been 3 months since the Butchie died, and over a month since the Fig was introduced. Tina has been healthy,was not injured, is not moulting, eats, drinks, roosts and interacts well with Fig, is the death of Butchie responsible for the lack of eggs? They are our pets and eggs are not the main reason we have them, but we were looking forward to possibly allowing her to raise a clutch in the spring. We have many other chickens (the 2 Silkies are kept separate in their own 15x30 foot grassy run) and we are not newbies to chicken keeping. Any suggestions, or should we just hope that Tina "starts up" again in the spring?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't have personal experience with silkies, but from my understanding they're not stellar layers to start with. You might just need to wait and see if she starts back up in the spring, like you said.

Even if she's not laying, you could still use some bait eggs to see if you could entice her into going broody if you want her to foster someone else's eggs......

3. Texorps

Texorps New Egg

Jul 27, 2013
    On the farm!
    Thanks! You know, come to think of it, I have seen mixed reviews of the Silkie's laying abilities, some saying great, others not so much. And the same about their broodiness, perhaps it's individual chicken behavior or different breeding. Guess I'll just wait for spring and hope she lays again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by