Rooster died, new rooster doesn't appear to be doing his job. How long?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Free Range Mama, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Free Range Mama

Free Range Mama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    How long will it take a new mature rooster to be active with his ladies? I haven't seen him being overly roosterish with mating or even taking control. He has been with them 6 days. Is that just too short of a time?
    Thanks

2. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    Is he new to the flock for 6 days? It might take some time for them to accept him. If he's brand new and wasn't raised with your flock, they are likely not accepting HIM yet. It could take some time, and make sure he is sleeping in the same coop with them. It could be a while until they accept him, and he gains the confidence to put some moves on the ladies.

3. chickychick1

chickychick1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    Is he a young one? Are there other roosters nearby?

4. Free Range Mama

Free Range Mama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    He is young, but not too young to mate. I am not positive of his age but he has a full, red comb and longer tail feathers and looks like a full grown rooster of his breed. He is completely new to the flock. The hens seem to accept him now (ie they aren't fighting him anymore). Just haven't seen any mating. Usually when I let the flocks out into their runs in the morning the roosters run around dancing for thier ladies and then grab one... not this guy. :) I'll just have to give him more time I guess. He was raised with a whole pack of roosters and had no previous "experience".

5. chickychick1

chickychick1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    It'll take a couple weeks probably until he gets acclimmated to his new home and the "girls".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by