Rooster died seemingly out of nowhere

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shmccarthy, Dec 1, 2013.

1. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I just got home late last night from a trip and one of my roosters is dead. It seems the odds haven't been in my favor lately because I just lost another cockerel a few weeks ago to a mink. I had been gone since Wednesday afternoon and he was doing fine Wednesday morning. My mom and stepdad checked on them twice a day and fed and watered them. She said everyone was eating and acting fine. They left Friday morning for their own vacation and my boyfriend came over and took care of our animals for us. He came over Friday night and took care if the dogs and checked on the chickens. All was normal. Saturday morning he told me that one of the roosters was dead. My silver Sebright rooster was paying on the floor of the coop dead. I told him to not bury it because I was leaving the same day anyways. I checked him over last night and he doesn't have a mark on him. His comb was very pale and had black dots over it. I thought these were scabs from the silkie rooster pickin on him because the Sebright rooster is at the bottom of the pecking order but could this have been some kind of illness/fungus? He was completely fine the past few days and died all of a sudden.. Should I be worried about the others? It certainly hasn't been cold enough for the cold to kill him. It got down to 20 but that was the lowest and they have been in much colder than that. He was only hatched in February.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The comb will be pale after they've been dead a little while. You can't discover much from the outside. You have to open the bird up and look at the organs. Literally dozens of different things could have killed it. One of which is gout. Are your roosters getting with hens and eating layer feed?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Would have been a good idea but it died Friday night. If it wasn't soaped up and refrigerated right away the examiner may not be able to find much by Monday or whenever the OP gets it to a lab.

5. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I was feeding them a mixture of flock raiser and purina layer crumbles. The flock raiser was because a lot of them are molting right now and I wanna help them with higher protein food. I didn't even think of the food hurting him.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've seen a lot of people on here claim that layer feed won't hurt a rooster. The research reveals otherwise. In one study of a broiler breeder operation, the roosters died at 4 times the rate of hens and postmortem revealed kidney stones and gout in many of the cases.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That's very interesting, do you have a link to that study?

-Kathy

8. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Thank you so much, you're probably right. I think I'm just gonna change feed so my other roosters aren't harmed. I have free choice calf manna for the hens and they get a lot of vegetables so I will look for a food they can all eat.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Was he vaccinated for Marek's?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by