Rooster died suddenly, is my flock in danger?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by audrawheeler, Oct 19, 2016.

1. audrawheeler

audrawheeler New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    We got a cochin frizzle rooster about 2 weeks ago and he has been full of vim and vigor and being very roostery up until this morning. He didn't seem to be in pain or uncomfortable, he came out of the coop in the morning and went back in to roost in the evening. He moved around throughout the day but he spent a lot of time laying down. Several of our hens are molting and everyone has been dirt bathing like crazy so I didn't think much of it. But I went out around 2 am and he was clearly dying. Just limp and lifeless. I brought him in and offered him water with vitamins and he drank a little and swallowed fine. I put him under a heat lamp and waited but he died within an hour. He was perfectly fine day before, moving about eating, he even had a full crop when he died and I saw him eat and drink today... so strange

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    The laying down a lot indicative of something wrong.

Move to new location increases odds of picking up a parasite such as worms or cocci that can mess up gut function causing passage to stop. He could even have been crop bound.

Next time employ quarantine for a couple of weeks allowing new bird to recover from move before slow exposure to parasites your flock already deals with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by