Rooster Died

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by laturcotte1, Nov 14, 2010.

1. laturcotte1

laturcotte1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    I had a senior rooster, Walter. Walter passed during the night but when we found him he was lying on his back. Do chickens ususally die this way. We know nothing "got" him. He didn't have a mark on him and he was very secure in his coop.

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    awww [​IMG] when they usually die on there back it is from a stroke or heart attack so if he was old then thats probably wat happened

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    sorry for your loss. [​IMG]
    perhaps he passed away of old age. [​IMG]

4. laturcotte1

laturcotte1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Yeah, that's our thoughts, old age. He was a rescue and in terrible shape when we got him. Apparently fractured a foot sometime in his life, was only able to walk on his "forearms". He got around very well though balancing with his wings and beak. He had a coop all to himself, a nice run so he could socialize with the others with protection of the fence. Two days after we got him he preened himself up nicely and for the first time in over 1 year he started to crow. We laid indoor out door carpet on this floor for comfort with shavings on top. We would upgrade his nests once a week, he was unable to perch. He was pretty smart, at night when I walked by his run to close everyone up I'd say go night night Walter. I'd bed the horses goats etc and when I'd come back to close Walter he'd hobbled into his coop and onto his nest. We'll miss him.

5. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    he sounds like a sweet heart sorry for your loss. Usually on the back is a heart attack or stroke very quick.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like he had a good life with you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by