Rooster Died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by olliewoods, Dec 11, 2012.

1. olliewoods

olliewoods New Egg

Dec 11, 2012
    I have a rooster that was sick yesterday and would not eat or crow , I am new at this
    so I need help . When I got up this morning he was dead. Could anyone give me some Ideas of why he died?

2. Chicken Goddess

Chicken Goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

He could have coccidiosis. which is them eating their own poop. not directly, but from stepping in poop then stepping in food and eating the poop food. this is a highly contagious disease so check your other chickens. my chicken had this disease once and i gave her some SULPHURDIM or POULTRY TONIC. this works and would stop your other chickens from getting it. hope this helps. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Over the past year, I've had 3 drop dead over night with no symptoms, it turned out to be Coccidiosis, and may have shown symptoms during the night before death. Then a few months ago I found a hen dead in the morning, and a few days later, another one. The only thing I can think of with those 2 is botulism or something poison those two might have ate. No signs the day before.

Most of the time, we never know why. You may want to put some Corrid in the water for 5 days just in case.

4. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    Sorry for your losses... I would like to suggest adding apple cider vinegar to your regular supplements for your chickens. It is amazing! I give it to my chickens, dogs, and myself! Apparently, ACV has properties that actually prevent coccidiosis, among many other ailments and diseases. I add 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water, but I've heard of others adding more. Make sure you get the ACV "with the mother", unpasteurized, not the regular apple cider vinegar in most stores. I use Bragg's, for example. There are some other threads on here where others have posted in more details the benefits of ACV for your chickens, so maybe you could find some more great information doing a search on ACV and coccidiosis. Hope that helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by