Rooster dilema.. who stays and who goes??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NewBostonChick, Jul 13, 2011.

1. NewBostonChick

NewBostonChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    Oh my, how we get attached to our chickens.. I had 7 RIR and NH's who grew up together.. the 2 roo's got along until last week when I was given 2 new hens, barred rock and aricana..(sp?) the 2 roos went after each other to the point of drawing blood.. the calm roo, Buddy went after the more aggressive roo Frosty.. since then I have had to separate them with Frosty outside the run and Buddy inside with the ladies.. I felt so sad as Frosty walked up and down the run all day wanting to get back in.. so now, I have a home for one roo... I don't know who to give away?? The calmer roo would do better i think at a new location.. he has never charged at me.. Frosty on the other hand has become aggressive if there is more than one person around, such as me and my son.. I was honest with the new people who want a roo and they want Buddy.. I guess I am feeling torn as Buddy has made all the ladies in the coop his in the last week and should I keep him with his flock of hens?? Or consider the new people who may end up with Frosty who may turn on more than one person...???? What would any of you do?? Thanks.. Jane

2. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    i know how u feel one of my babies turned out to be a rooster and i love him so much and i hate that i have to give him up cuz im scared that rosco our oldest rooster will hurt him. it is a hard thing to do to pick who u want to keep but i think u should let them have buddy only so they dont get attacked by frosty and then having them have to kill him or something. reason i say kill him is cuz my boy rosco attacks the men that goes around him which is funny i think, and when i ask ppl what they do to make him stop they would say make him dinner which i would never do [​IMG] so when it comes time to pick one of my roosters i'll give up the baby cuz he's sweet and i wouldnt have to worry about him hurting anyone... also i wouldnt worry about buddy losing his girls hes going to get a whole new group and im sure he'll be happy no matter where he's at as long as he does have some hens [​IMG]

3. NewBostonChick

NewBostonChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    Thank you for your reply... I just got back from re-homing Buddy, the nicer rooster... I secretly felt like crying as I was driving him to a new home as he was my Buddy..:-( When I drove in the yard of the new home, I was happy to see a wonderful place with horses and a nice barn, fields and a pond.. and the coop is in the back of the horse barn, all new and quite the designer digs! Buddy joined 3 RIR girls and jumped right up on the roosting bar, checking the girls out and let out a good crow! We turned out the lights and he muttered his rooster sounds.. The new owners are lovely people and I felt good leaving Buddy there.. I will miss his crow, but happy to know he is in a good home... Thank you for your post as silly as it is to some people, our chickens become part of our family... Now Frosty is back in the run and with the girls and no more roo fights.... I was glad I gave these people Buddy, the calmer roo as it was the right thing to do.. Frosty has been OK with me and we shall see if his disposition changes towards other people now that he is alone.. That was one thing I stated when I posted to re-home a roo, not for the stew pot! I hope you find a nice home for your baby roo.. this home was the 3rd person who called and I am glad now I chose them.. the 1st person was not a good situation at all and the 2nd was a lady with one hen who said she'd call back in a week and see if the roo was still available.. you do have to screen people and feel it out... Good luck to you.... :)

4. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    i know i will cry when i have to give mine up and our chickens r like family to me as well this weeked have to sell some babies and few hens and i already warned my bf that i will be crying lol i'm so glad to hear that buddy is living in a nice new home too now u know both r going to be happy and dont have to worry good luck with frosty and i hope he makes lots of beautiful chicks for u [​IMG]

5. MadHatcher

MadHatcher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    Quote:How old are your roosters?

I have two roosters who grew up together and share responsibilities for the girls... I'm worried that this will one day happen between them. [​IMG]

I love them both so much and think if they did end up fighting I'd have to setup two separate coops for each of them - yes I'm that crazy. lol

I'm sorry you ended up having to re-home one of your guys. I know from personal experience how hard that can be.

Sounds like you found him a loving home though! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by