1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rooster dilemma, need help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by stcroixusvi, Oct 12, 2011.

1. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    We have four roosters and 18 hens. I know we need to find homes for 2 of the roosters, but I can't decide who needs to go. They are:

Stevie (Golden laced Polish): Head, must stay
    Morpheus (EE): second in command but most active with the ladies unless Stevie pushes him off. He is the most frequent crower, but must be up on the roost and flapping his wings to crow - never on the ground.
    Rudie (white crested black Polish): fast, rarely crows, rarely has his way with the ladies, head feathers pecked off by assertive Rhode Island Red hens
    Michaelangelo (White splash Polish): fast, has never crowed, never gets near the ladies, some head feathers pecked off - mostly hangs out in the hen house to stay out of the way of all other birds.

There is a farm nearby that will take as many as I bring - they have families visit on weekends, so I know the Polish would be appreciated. But Morpheus may give Stevie the biggest challenge.

Suggestions?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If you're not worried about specific breeds, keep the nicest ones.

3. stcroixusvi

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    The one that is the most challenging is the head rooster, Stevie, but he's always been protective of the flock.

4. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Having purchased a rooster that was low in the pecking order in a similar situation, I must encourage you to do something quickly.

My fella is still afraid of nearly everyone, and he's the ONLY rooster here. He had several inches of feathers missing when I got him about 6 weeks ago. He looks much better now and is getting more mature, but I'm most likely goint to get rid of 3-4 of my bossiest hens to gain peace over all. I prefer him over the few hens even though he's newest to me. He's a cute breed and a good guy that I don't think I'll ever have to worry about him attacking humans like our last rooster. (I believe his name became lunchmeat).

5. stcroixusvi

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Thanks for the info. I have been trying to find Michaelangelo a home - put him on CL, but any interested person didn't show up [​IMG] but now I found a farm that will take him. I think they have other roosters, but plenty of space and hens.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by