Rooster dilemma

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hansolo, Jun 23, 2011.

1. hansolo

hansolo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Fremont, CA
    In theory I have no problem eating them, chickens are for eggs or meat.
    In practice, we have a tiny flock of three and for some reason i am extremely attached to the birds.

We have a 4-4.5 month old blrw cockerel. I have a hard time figuring out what to do with him.

- Release him, he will be eaten by other animals or got picked up by people like Rob. In general I don't find this option responsible.
    - Eat him
    - Give away, this seems to be the best option. However I find many responsible, serious poultry keepers have closed flocks. It is easier to breed and thin own flock than to adopt chickens and go through quarantine.

I have restrained myself from eating meat, until I can process my own bird. Meantime, please help if you can adopt him. We are going to keep him until he crows.

2. ck-newbe

ck-newbe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Boone, NC
    I am on the wrong side of the country to adopt, sorry. However adoption may seem like the more human way, but they are likely to end up as dinner on someone elses table. Be thankfull that they have had a good life with you, probably a much better life than any of the chicken in the grocerie stores. And culling them in your own back yard is better for them than taking a stressful car ride and then being culled in a strange place by people who do not care about them. I watched you-tube videos on culling a rooster to de-sensitize myself. It really helped. They are just chickens.... I know it is hard, but it can be educational. I was against culling my own birds, but my DH was right, this all part of maintaining a happy and healthy flock. Hope everything turns out ok for you:/

3. hansolo

hansolo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Fremont, CA
    Well said.

I think it might make a difference with a medium-sized flock, one or two dozens of chickens, then I won't have the energy / not practical to give that much attention to an individual bird. Maybe I will have a healthier relationship with my chickens.

4. 4acresNachick

4acresNachick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    I am in the same boat with a 10wk old cockerel that I raised from a day old. I am attached already. He has a great personality and I would love to see him with his own flock but I am just not keen on keeping a roo. I think the same way though, at least he has had a good quality of life and while I don't want to eat him, at least my family knows where their food comes from and we gave him a great life while he is here. Good luck and I am sure you will make the best decision for your own flock.

5. Java_chicken_man

Java_chicken_man Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Adoption sounds like the best choice:/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by