Rooster disappeared without a trace yesterday - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by phieaglefan, Oct 2, 2012.

1. phieaglefan

phieaglefan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2012
    Central Oklahoma
    Yesterday I came home to find my rooster Jacques missing. The odd thing is, there were 10 chickens and a Guinea free ranging yesterday as always, and the big rooster is the only one that's missing. 7 of the birds are smallish - they're about 10 weeks old. But no one else is gone. Is there any chance he wandered off on his own and will return? I know, wishful thinking. We looked around a bit but didn't see any signs of him or his remains.

Any ideas on what could have caused this?

Thanks,
    Heidi

2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say he was stolen, is this a possibility?
    Also if he is a flighty one, then maybe he has wandered off?

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Sounds like predation. You didn't mention where/how your setup is like. Rural? Urban? I tried free ranging at first and got tired of the predators. Everything would be fine for weeks & weeks, then wham----a killing spree.

4. phieaglefan

phieaglefan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2012
    Central Oklahoma
    Thanks for your replies. I still can't believe it but when I went out to feed this morning, he was standing in the horse pasture. He seems fine, possibly a few tail feathers missing. But maybe I imagined that. Anyway I'm thrilled he's alive.

Darkmatter, we are quite rural and I know there are tons of predators. I guess I should take this as a warning.

Thanks again!
    Heidi

5. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    I'm guessing he was attacked or got into a fight with something and hid to "lick his wounds" so to say and came back out when the shock wore off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by