Rooster disappeared

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by luckychicken1, Oct 4, 2011.

1. luckychicken1

luckychicken1 New Egg

Sep 1, 2011
    Our rooster disappeared with out any sign of struggle not a single feather to be found. we lost a hen to a fox a month ago and there was a mess of feathers everywhere, does anyone know what could have taken him with out leaving a shred of evidence. is it possible he wandered off. it just doesn't make sense, any help would be great. thanks
  2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j True BYC Addict

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    A coyote could have carried him off without a trace. That happened to us a few years ago. All the chickens and barn cats disappeared over a period of several weeks. That fall, 3 coyotes ran out of the corn field while we were harvesting. I noticed tonight that my BO hen wasn't in the coop when I shut it for the night, and thinking about it, not sure if she came out this morning, either. I'm guessing a coyote got her, or she's nesting somewhere.
  3. luckychicken1

luckychicken1 New Egg

Sep 1, 2011
    Thanks thats what we were thinking. no more free ranging for a while.
  4. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    An owl could have carried him off and kiled him in a tree somewhere.
  5. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    I'm thinking coyote, If it had been an owl you would've found feathers somewhere as owls will sit & pull off & out anything not appetizing to them. A cat would've left a feather mess also., The only thing we've ever had take a chicken from us & not leave a trace was a coyote. We always left the dead fowl down at the river bed for them & they would be gone in the morning no trace that they ever were.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by