Rooster dizzy/off balance

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jessicanentwich, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Jessicanentwich

Jessicanentwich Just Hatched

Nov 16, 2016
    Got a 2 year old rooster who is super off balance. I think the other rooster may have beat him up and I figured he was done for but he's been acting like this for almost a month so I figure I should try to help him out. He can walk around somewhat, he just tips over a lot and sticks his wings out to try to catch himself. He was getting around better today but I grabbed him and looked him over and after that he was way worse!! He is eating and drinking normally, head and neck moving normally, eyes clear, some mites but not many. Checked his ears and all over under his feathers, legs and feet etc but can find no injuries. Feathers look kind of ratty but he doesn't seem to be losing any. He is still pretty heavy has lost a little weight but not much. We have 20 chickens, none of the others are affected. He doesn't seem to be getting worse or better. It seems when he is stressed or scared or excited that he becomes way more dizzy. After I picked him up earlier he fell over forwards with his butt in the air and stayed that way for several minutes, then got up and ran off. I put some rooster booster in his water, any ideas for anything else I can try appreciated. I also dusted him for mites today as we have a problem with sticktight fleas pretty much all the time.

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    What type of feed do you use.Specifically

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @Jessicanentwich , welcome to BYC!

Can you post a video?

-Kathy

4. Jessicanentwich

Nov 16, 2016
    we use a 20% pellet and scratch grains combined. Sometimes they get scraps but never anything rotten

5. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    A video would help like Kathy said.

6. Jessicanentwich

Nov 16, 2016
    I can post one tomorrow since it's already dark here. I didn't think of taking one, strangely enough

7. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Make sure you lock up the fridge tonight i think he is cracking open a whiskey every night having some fun[​IMG]

8. Jessicanentwich

Nov 16, 2016
    LOL I think if he was actually drunk he would be acting much happier....he seems so confused by what's happening it makes me sad!! I hatched him and he's the only rooster left from that batch we incubated. Guess I'm kind of attached.....maybe I'LL have a whiskey!!!

9. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    You should,Dealing with sick chickens is stressful and not fun.Just give us a video tomorrow and we can hopefully diagnose the problem with him.

10. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    The only thing i can think of is a possible nutrition deficiency or a injury or bruising to the leg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by