Rooster doesn’t look well.

bobbi-j

Enabler
14 Years
Mar 15, 2010
On the MN prairie.
This afternoon when I went out to pick eggs, I noticed that my rooster was kind of sitting on his haunches. I though that was odd, so I walked closer to take a better look. When he got up to move away from me, I noticed that he was holding himself oddly. Kind of hunched up, neck extended and walking... tentatively. Wings kind of held out from his body. I didn’t notice any obvious injuries to him. I did see a red spot on the back of his leg.He did pick at and eat some grass while I was watching him. Crop was empty tonight when I locked them up for the night. I have not observed his poop. They free range during the day and I was not able to follow him around to watch. Here are a few pics:
A2364A51-6A73-486D-8A05-C07E827FD9F8.jpeg
E237AC51-DEF7-4F84-A1A6-A42F3DB52896.jpeg
57B9FE9C-CF3D-4A93-ABBB-2E5D32FE8204.jpeg

In the interest of saving time and discussion, a vet is not an option. We don’t have vets around that will treat them, and it’s just not practical for me to pay a $100 or more office call for a $10 bird.

Is he your only rooster?

Did you get a chance to check him for external parasites near his vent? Or other injuries, like maybe he fought off a predator? Or able to tell if that redness is from sitting and walking on that area?

Maybe get a peek at where he is roosting and look for the droppings under there in the morning? Also, try to notice if he's drinking... since dehydration can cause soooo many issues.

Your grass looks almost as gorgeous as he is! What else does he eat on a regular basis, including treats and supplements?

Hope he feels better quickly! :fl

He looked about the same today, but did have food in his crop tonight when I checked. About a golf-ball sized lump. He was out with the hens when I got home, getting around fairly well.

No external parasites noted. Checked him over pretty thoroughly and didn’t note any injuries. Some bare red spots with pin feathers coming in, so I’m guessing he’s molting. Maybe he’s just that uncomfortable? Eyes look pretty bright. He was downright offended at the violation of me picking him off the roost and checking him out, but he didn’t fight it much.

He free ranges during the day, so diet consists of whatever he finds while out and about and layer feed. (Yes, I have read the threads about long term effects on non-laying birds eating layer feed. DH picks it up for me. I have told him I prefer a grower for the whole flock. It’s not a battle I choose to fight.)

He has access to clean water all day every day. Too busy the past couple of days to see if he’s drinking.

He’s 1 1/2. He looked better this morning when I let them out. His posture (for lack of a better word) was better.

Eyes are clear. No gunk. I got down to face level and looked closely today.

Hopefully he’ll continue to improve and it was just a glitch in the system. None of the others are showing symptoms of any kind.

This afternoon when I went out to pick eggs, I noticed that my rooster was kind of sitting on his haunches. I though that was odd, so I walked closer to take a better look. When he got up to move away from me, I noticed that he was holding himself oddly. Kind of hunched up, neck extended and walking... tentatively. Wings kind of held out from his body. I didn’t notice any obvious injuries to him. I did see a red spot on the back of his leg.He did pick at and eat some grass while I was watching him. Crop was empty tonight when I locked them up for the night. I have not observed his poop. They free range during the day and I was not able to follow him around to watch. Here are a few pics:
View attachment 1883290 View attachment 1883288 View attachment 1883289

In the interest of saving time and discussion, a vet is not an option. We don’t have vets around that will treat them, and it’s just not practical for me to pay a $100 or more office call for a $10 bird.

he could have been stung or bit by some bug and having an allergic reaction to it, maybe some Benadryl ointment or spray would help, or got a thorn or sliver free ranging , either way I would keep an eye on it and clean with warm water as free ranging they are more susceptible if a predator sees them as injured but he's also your flock protection

Back
Top Bottom