rooster doesn't act much like a rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by robbiespot, Nov 14, 2011.

1. robbiespot

robbiespot New Egg

Nov 14, 2011
    I am new to the forum but have been reading it for a few years, so i am not sure if this is the right place to post. I have a problem with my rooster he is 2 years old and the people that gave him to me said he would be the boss of the barnyard. To begin since i brought him home he has never crowed. He sits in the nesting boxes instead of on the roost. And to add to the irritation he does not mount the hens so no fertilized eggs. My big question will he ever start manning up? I have raised chickens since i was 5 and have never had this happen.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm no expert, but are you sure he IS a rooster? [​IMG] I'd like to say: [​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us! Hopefully, someone will have a better answer than me.

3. robbiespot

robbiespot New Egg

Nov 14, 2011
    o ya i am sure he is a rooster he crowed when we picked him up and that was the last. not to mention if i could put a picture up of him there is no missing that he is a boy.

4. tancurls

tancurls Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Huntington Beach
    My roo loves the nesting box. I constantly kick him out!!! Mine crows but I really think my rooster is getting broody. My guy is only 6 months. I am new to all of this and I sure hope someone else posts to let us know what to do if anything!!!

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You've probably a very dominant hen in your flock. He should man up once the stress of moving wears off and he figures he's ready to put the queen in line so all others follow.

6. robbiespot

robbiespot New Egg

Nov 14, 2011
    o no i think he is the dominant one in the flock. the hens wont touch the food until he eats or he pecks them, and they follow him all over the property during the day when they free range.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

How long have you had him?

8. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I'm no rooster expert, Lord knows. I've only owned two and neither of them had any trouble getting randy with the girls! [​IMG]
    However, I've heard that sometimes a rooster doesn't "get it" until he has some exposure to another rooster. Could you borrow one to keep on your property for a couple of days? It wouldn't even have to come out of the cage; I think just the sight/sound of another roo can do the trick.

EDITED TO ADD: Both of my roos LOVED being in the nest boxes. The girls would have to scoot them out of the way so they could lay their eggs!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  9. robbiespot

robbiespot New Egg

Nov 14, 2011
    o okay thanks i will have to see if i can try it

10. robbiespot

robbiespot New Egg

Nov 14, 2011
    i have had him since august second got him for my 21st birthday so about 3 months and he is with the same hens that he was caged up with, the only difference is he and the ladies get to free range now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by