rooster doesnt crow, only peeps like a chick!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by river-rat, Oct 10, 2013.

1. river-rat

river-rat New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    Central Ohio
    we have a rooster thats probably 8 months old, and he has never crowed- he only peeps! it sounds like a dog toy! just one big SQUEEK!, and thats it! anyone else have a rooster, or heard of a rooster doing this? ive tried to search for it and i havent come up with anything. do we have a one of a kind bird here??

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I have had a lot of roosters and like reading about roosters on this forum, but I can't say I have run across stories of a mature rooster who peeps like a chick. I have read about roosters who don't really crow due to being low on the pecking order. They don't crow for fear of getting chased by the head rooster. Is your rooster the only one in the flock?

3. river-rat

river-rat New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    Central Ohio
    we have a big, dominant RRI rooster. we had a total of 7 roosters, 5 of which we butchered and smoked and this one couldnt easily be caught the day we were butchering, but he stays out of the way, so i let him stay to get bigger. he doesnt crow but ill tell ya its pretty funny when he lets out a few of those peeps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by