Rooster doesnt crow....or try to get friendly w/ the ladies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mathesonfarm, Jan 22, 2012.

1. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    I dont know how old my rooster is because I rescued him and 5 other hens. He is a golden duckwing araucana and the spurs on his legs are about 3/4 inch long. I was told that you could estimate their age by their spurs but I dont know anything about that...maybe one of you do... Anyways, he doesnt crow and he doesnt try to hook up with the ladies, either. Does anyone know why? He is the only rooster I have but where he came from, there were a bunch.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I am not sure why he doesn't crow or mate. It sounds like he is at least a year old. Frankly, the hens probably don't mind.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Hens can get spurs, too. Has he got pointy hackle feathers and long, skinny saddle feathers?

A picture would help - there are experts on BYC who can positively identify roosters from hens. I mean, in case you aren't sure he's a rooster.

Also, how long have you had your chickens? They don't deal with change easily - it takes them time to adjust to new things, and a whole new location can really set hens off laying for a while.

ALSO, if he was a low status rooster at the old place, he may need to figure out he's the only rooster and learn it's safe to get friendly with the ladies. More senior roos probably kicked his butt at the other place!!

4. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    I know he is definately a roo and I have had them now since the end of November. They were not in a bad situation or anything like that but what happened was, we have a friend who is a care taker and one of the ppl that he works for had a whole farm. Well, apparently he bought them for his girlfriend and when they broke up, he was going to kill everything so our friend worked fast to find all the animals homes and I was able to take these guys.
    There were alot of other roosters so he may have been on the lower end of the other roos. I thought I heard him try to crow about a month ago but then never another peep so Im not sure. The hens dont lay, either, but I thought maybe they were discouraged by the cold weather. They all getting along great with my other chickens and there hasnt been a problem there. He does look out for the flock but no crowing or romancing.
    Thanks for your opinions, inputs and thought....keep em coming :0)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by