1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster doesn't know how to "Do it"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Poliwag, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Poliwag

Poliwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    My rooster, Roxy, who is sadly going to a new home soon is almost 7 months old and I don't think he knows how to mate yet. I know, it's possible I am just not around when he does it but I have been around him when he does try to do it and all he does is grab their neck for a few seconds and releases. He is a very cowardly rooster. He doesn't attack me and always tries to avoid me when I go in the pen... unless I have food [​IMG]
    Only one of the hens actually follows him wherever he goes. I'd say she is the only truly loyal hen. My other 4 hens don't care about him at all.

Here is a picture of my Rooster, Roxy:
    [​IMG]

Is this normal? Or should I be worried? lol

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    he is still young. Give him time..

Also, is he with Standards? He may never be able to do the deed with Large Fowl.

3. Poliwag

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    Quote:[​IMG]

That is a picture of Roxy and his "girlfriend" Jess. They are the same breed and colour.

Here is a picture of one of the other hens:
    [​IMG]

She is the same age as him or very close to it.

They are all Silkie Bantams.

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Some roos are just slow to getting use to how the deed works. [​IMG] He'll catch on.

5. Poliwag

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    Quote:It's funny, he started crowing at a young age and "tries" to boss the other hens around but can't seem to mate with them.
    He really is cowardly [​IMG]

6. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:It's funny, he started crowing at a young age and "tries" to boss the other hens around but can't seem to mate with them.
    He really is cowardly [​IMG]

I have an 8 month old roo that is a wimp too. He can mate with a couple hens, but his favorite are the JG hens, which he can't mate. The problem is that he is smaller than them (he's a SF) and too wimpy to show them he is the roo (they are all standards, he's shorter, but stockier than they are). He grabs their wing, they peck him, he squeeks and runs off. [​IMG]

7. Poliwag

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Are you so sure he's not "doing it?" It only takes a few seconds with chickens. I know my rooster's "doing it" because I can see the eggs are fertilized when I break them open to make breakfast.

9. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    I think the hens can't take him seriously. I mean would you mate with man named Roxy. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Poliwag

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    Quote:I am not sure.... but I have no way to be sure as my hens haven't started laying eggs yet [​IMG]

Quote:Well, it's better than Rose... that was his name before I discovered SHE was actually a HE [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by