Rooster doing a little "jiggy-dance" around his favored hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jjdent, Nov 14, 2013.

1. jjdent

jjdent Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    Rustburg, VA
    I'm wondering if the "jiggy-dance" my rooster is doing is normal or if he's special. Haha. Just wondering. Also, I clipped his wing because he kept flying over the gate, even after I made the top of it very undesirable. Since then, he hasn't even tried to fly. He seems to know that he can't now.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Part of the normal mating ritual with a mature rooster is that he dips a wing and sort of circles the hen a few steps to indicate his intensions. A mature hen that accepts him as a suitable partner will often squat, though a few run a few steps just to see if he is really interested or just flirting.

3. PineShavings

PineShavings Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Tex
    Yeah, male birds in the wild do a similar thing to show off to the ladies. That rooster is looking for some action (if you know what I mean).

4. jjdent

Oct 20, 2013
    Rustburg, VA
    Cool. Thanks. Well, the hen has fully developed comb and waddles, and has done a bit of the squatting, but has not yet laid. Do they usually wait to lay until they've mated, or do they start laying without all that? These two have been an isolated pair since they were born.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    A hen does not need a rooster around to lay. That rooster has nothing to do with her laying an egg, just whether or not it will be fertile.

6. jjdent

Oct 20, 2013
    Rustburg, VA
    Thanks so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by