Rooster doing his dance for a cockeral?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by heybarb, Jul 24, 2013.

1. heybarb

heybarb Songster

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    We have an established flock of 6 chickens that includes a Jersey Giant roo and 5 hens. We added 4 chicks on April 4 (making them almost 4 months old) and they were raised by one of the hens that went broody, so they have been with the flock the whole time. It turns out that one is a cockeral - a bantam black cochin. They have all gotten along just fine until the past week. The cockeral has started getting "aggressive" with the girls - chasing them around and trying to do his thing. The rooster has started doing his "wing dance" for the pullets - and for the cockeral. I have even seen the rooster try to mount the cockeral. The more the rooster asserts his dominance, the meaner the cockeral is to the other chickens - especially the 3 pullets that are his age and the 2 pullets that are a month younger. I'm guessing they are trying to sort out their pecking order, but it seems like a lot of feathers are being lost and a lot of squawking is going on. Last night the cockeral kept chasing the 2 younger pullets out of the coop at dusk - and I had to put him in "Time Out" until the girls all went to bed. One of my hens is broody again and the minute she leaves the nest to do her business - both the rooster and cockeral chase her around until she eventually flies up in a tree where they can't reach her. Up until this point, the rooster was super easy going and an all around great guy, but even he is getting aggressive with the girls. I really didn't want 2 roosters, so I'm wondering if it would be best to get rid of the cockeral...

This morning I let both the rooster and cockeral out of the chicken pen - leaving the girls alone for a while. The pen does have several roosts at various heights, but the cockeral is pretty agile and flies up to boss the girls around up there too. Any suggestions on helping them get along better? Or should I just get rid of the little, younger fellow?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Crowing

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If your older rooster was an easy going guy before this other cockerel, I'd get rid of the younger guy. The new guy is trying to take over the pecking order, making everyone grumpy. The rooster dancing at and mounting is normal. Its a dominance thing. Good luck!

3. heybarb

heybarb Songster

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    That's kind of what I thought! Thanks! I think I'll be looking for a new home for my bantam black cochin cockeral...anyone want him?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: