Rooster Don't Roost or Fly

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by binky1902, Dec 27, 2014.

1. binky1902

binky1902 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2014
    I'm pretty new to roosters and their behavior. All of my pullets fly up to numerous roosts in the coop and run to rest, relax, and all that. The rooster only stays on the ground. He will often run and flap, but it seems to be more like a show for the girls...and I don't think he's really trying to fly. Is this normal behavior for a rooster? The girls come out of the coop every morning flying out of the door, he just kinda struts out.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What breed and age is your rooster? How long have you had him?

3. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe he is afraid of heights [​IMG]

4. binky1902

binky1902 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2014
    I'm not exactly sure of breed, but he came out of the bin full of Black Australorps at Atwoods. He has a few red feather mixed in though, unlike the pullets. He's around 15 weeks old, and much bigger than my full grown hens already. I thought when he was a little guy that he may be a black version of a broiler chicken or something, he grew so fast. He has the feathers that are black but look greenish purple when the sun is on him, and he spends most of his time bossing the other chickens around. He is a very good rooster though, anytime a hawk or buzzard flies overhead he makes a noise and all the other pullets run inside the coop...and he stays out there. He also will not take treats, he just makes a noise and then all the pullets run over to eat. He's great, and is very protective, he just isn't into flying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by