Rooster don't seem to have any energy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Atlas LaHaye, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Atlas LaHaye

Atlas LaHaye In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    Hi
    My rooster is just getting over Botulism, and Maggots (Amen them things are gone!) And he seems to be doing a lot better, I have him in a screen cage where flies can't get on him but I notice he don't have a lot of energy, he can eat on his own now, and still needs a little help tipping his head back when he drinks, when he first comes out of his cage he will hold his neck up nice and high then after a minute he will drop it about half way down, and he seems tired, he is getting a lot of rest and he has no other chickens near him, and he is getting enough food and water, is there anyway I can get his energy up? Or should I still give him a few days it has already been 10 very long days.

He is a year old if anyone is wondering.

Thank you
    Atlas

2. jjthinkagain

jjthinkagain Chirping

May 26, 2010
    So good that you are writing and asking.

He needs to be bolstered - he is worn out. He's been at war. Make sure he is on the best nutrition possible. Avia Charge 2000 in his water or Polyvisol liquid children's vitamins (without added iron) 3 drops daily for a week (can administer via dropper gently along his beak line so he swallows on his own and doesn't choke). Give him healthy treats to cheer him up, like sunflower seeds and cut up bits of very fresh fruit (grapes, blueberries, watermelon etc). Scrambled egg if he'll take it. The Polyvisol seems to take like crud so offer a tasy treat after the drops - Plus cleanest freshest water every day.

Where is the cage?
    Does he get natural light? (he needs it)
    Does he have grit available? (he needs it)
    Are the air temps not too hot and not too cold? Does he have a best buddy who could hang out with him?
    What has his diet been up until now?

In general, anything that will give him the will to get strong again is the right thing.
    JJ

3. jjthink

jjthink Crowing

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    How is roo? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    JJ

4. Atlas LaHaye

Atlas LaHaye In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
  5. jjthink

jjthink Crowing