Rooster down

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkiefluff, Dec 17, 2013.

1. silkiefluff

silkiefluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    NS, Canada
    I've researched as much as I could find and can't seem to come up with a definite answer to my rooster's problem. The back story... December 3rd our neighbour came to us in the evening - he was missing two of his dogs. We immediately went out to make sure all chickens were fine. They were in (including this rooster), but we're soaked, like they had been out in the rain (not like them). Three were missing. The next morning, after a huge down poor of rain, we checked again. Two were back at the coop in the morning, completely fine and dry, one was still missing (our smallest silkie). Anyway, we think a bird of prey got our silkie and scared the others to hide, that's why they were so wet. The days following, our rooster started slowing down. We finally took him inside the house a couple days ago, when he really slowed down and his wattles/comb turned darker.

Here's what I know:
    Darker comb/wattles (not spots, the whole thing - like when a humans lips go "blue" from being cold)
    No blood anywhere on him
    Eating/drinking
    Pooping normally (a little stuck to his bum from sitting so much)
    No mites/lice
    Feet are all fine (checked for frostbite), still moves his toes
    He walks, but slowly and if he steps on something bumpy he wabbles and possibly falls over
    He's under a year old
    He eats medicated grower when inside the coop, but they are free ranging during the day (up until the 3rd)
    Everyone else looks/acting fine
    Eyes are open, maybe a little crusty around the outside
    "Talks" to me when I call his name (he always did that outside)
    When we pick him up he doesn't fuss (he did fuss before)

I've looked up numerous things, but nothing matches 100 percent. And the other chickens are fine. Since we've brought him inside, near the heat, he hasn't gotten worse, but no better either.

I can't afford to see a Vet at the moment, and I'm doing everything I can think of otherwise. Any help without critism? :(

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Darkened combs and wattles are often a sign of heart/circulatory problems, which may be hereditary or because the bird is overweight. But other diseases can also cause discolored faces/combs/wattles, including fowl cholera, lymphoid leukosis, bluecomb, paratyphoid, aspergillosis, tuberculosis, and avian influenza. If you haven't already, I would recommended searching for information on those diseases and see if any fit him more closely. Other than that, just keep him warm, minimize stressing him out, and encourage him to eat and drink plenty. Good luck!

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

4. silkiefluff

Aug 22, 2013
    NS, Canada
    Thank you! I looked all those up and a couple have potential, but most seem to say that he would be dead by now...and it's been two weeks.

We brought him upstairs next to our wood stove today and have him covered with a blanket. It's easier to hear upstairs too, and we noticed he has a wheeze when he breathes. I'm wondering if it's pneumonia? I couldn't find a lot on chicken pneumonia, just prevention... If it is, is there anything I can do? Has anyone ever encountered that?

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    how cold was it? could he have suffered frostbite? My silkies combs are dark(what little combs they have)and wattles are plum colored. His wattles are completely black? Walking issue could be a result of a head injury,which silkies can be prone to. It also sounds like he has a respiratory issue.crusty eyes and wheezing suggests this.

6. silkiefluff

Aug 22, 2013
    NS, Canada
    His comb and wattles aren't black, but a blue/purple colour. It was about 10 degrees the night he was rained on, might have gotten a bit colder. And it has gotten colder since. No signs of frostbite.

7. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    See if you can purchase Tetracycline Hydrochloride,animal and poultry powder found at most feed stores. This is all i can purchase in Manitoba without a vet.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  8. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Might try some apple cider vinegar in the water if you can't get antibiotics. It's supposed to help cut through the mucous in the throat and help digestion. I think it's a tablespoon per gallon. The one with the mother is best. Also, some VetRX rubbed around his nostrils could help with the wheezing.

9. silkiefluff

Aug 22, 2013
    NS, Canada
    Thanks everyone. I add apple cider vinegar every time in change his water (and the other chickens outside). He's still eating and drinking, and not getting worse, but not better. Poops still look normal. I appreciate all the help, I'm worried about him. Theres a huge snow storm today so I can't go out, but I'll check my local feed stores when I can get out of my driveway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by