Rooster Drama - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 15Belles, Nov 23, 2012.

1. 15Belles

15Belles New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    So, we ended up with two roosters in our flock of fifteen. Ever since my hens began laying this past week (Finally!), Annabelle, my Plymouth Barred Rock (He was supposed to have been a she, hence the name.) has been very aggressive toward the other smaller Bantam rooster that the hatchery threw in for "free". He won''t let Ernest (the Bantam) into the coop, and will corner and attack him if we put Ernest into the coop. Thus, Ernest has been sleeping outside in the run on one of the roosts at night. During the day when they are allowed to free range, Ernest stays far away from Annabelle. We don't want to leave Ernest in the run alone, as it gets quite cold at night in Upstate NY. (The run is completely enclosed and as safe from predators as a run can be, so that is not a concern.) So, what to do? Will they ever work it out? Do we just stay out of the rooster drama and leave Ernest to weather the elements alone? Should we try to find a home for Ernest? (I have given Annabelle a strict "talking to", but he wasn't all that interested in my lecture. I think he is still stewing over the feminine name...) In any event, thank you for your input.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Unfortunately they will not get over it. Provide a protected area for your bantam to roost, maybe with a few girlfriends, or re home him - it would be unkind to leave him out in the cold.

3. 15Belles

15Belles New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    Thank you for the welcome and reply. I suspected as much. We are keeping Ernest in a dog crate at night and letting him free range with the flock during the day. Annabelle doesn't pay all that much mind to him when they are out and about. I will try to re-home Ernest, as this dog crate situation is less than ideal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by