Rooster Drama

Atzerii

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2021
Long story short, I decided to take matter into my own hands after my neighbor abandoned this hen and it’s 6 chicks. They are no longer chicks of course, I believe they are around 5 months old. So there are four roosters and 2 hens (siblings) and the mom, plus a stray hen I believe was a neighbors as well. I know you shouldn’t have more than 1 rooster per 4-6 hens, I am naive and know little to nothing in taking care of chickens. But my reason for posting this , is that today I notice one of my roosters isolating itself, Rod hasn’t eaten a lot compared to yesterday. I’m afraid he’s sick, perhaps he has sour crop or something and that’s why he isolating, maybe bullying I'm not sure, but today I witness his siblings attacking him. I’m afraid he will get attacked again and that means I will need to rehome him.(Sorry that was a lot, what do you guys think?)

I agree. Rehome most of the boys if you can. I let my hen hatch out babies and of course, most were roosters 🙄. I couldn’t find homes and don‘t have the heart to butcher them, so I kept one with the hens and four are now living in a bachelor pad in their own space. After a few scuffles, they worked out their pecking order and get along fine now (but they grew up together and there are no hens to impress/fight over),

Back
Top Bottom