Rooster drooled? saliva?

Annalyse

Songster
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
My Rooster was eating snow off the ground and as he looked up because I got his name, he had a line of salvia or drool hanging from his beak to the snow. The first time I'm seeing it. Should I be concerned. He looked and seemed fine. No sign of anything wrong.

azygous

Enabler
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
It can happen once in a while. Chickens do have saliva, although it doesn't play the same role in their digestion of food as it plays in ours as it helps break down our food as we chew. Chickens don't start their digestive process until it hits the crop and gizzard.

However, sometimes the crop gets over full and it can cause saliva to come out of the beak. You would know something was going on to be concerned about if your rooster started behaving unwell. Just keep an eye on him today and tomorrow just in case, and it would hurt to give his crop a check in the morning before he eats to be sure it emptied overnight as a crop should.

Annalyse

Songster
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
It can happen once in a while. Chickens do have saliva, although it doesn't play the same role in their digestion of food as it plays in ours as it helps break down our food as we chew. Chickens don't start their digestive process until it hits the crop and gizzard.

However, sometimes the crop gets over full and it can cause saliva to come out of the beak. You would know something was going on to be concerned about if your rooster started behaving unwell. Just keep an eye on him today and tomorrow just in case, and it would hurt to give his crop a check in the morning before he eats to be sure it emptied overnight as a crop should.
He's a tamed-aggressive rooster but he has started to cuddle and let me pick him up for a while now so I may or may not be able to check his crop. Usually, in the morning, he's a little cranky so I don't want to make him uncomfortable for him to bite me.

Annalyse

Songster
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
Update: he was eating the snow again but as he was eating it a pool of drool or salvia idk same thing well a pool of it came out of his mouth and then he kept eating the snow. It only happens when he eats the snow so idk

Top Bottom