Rooster Drooling - Hen Panting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Lady II, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Chicken Lady II

Chicken Lady II New Egg

Aug 13, 2011
    I have a Ameraucana mix he is a little over 2 yrs, hen is the same, Stephie is drooling and almost looks like he is foaming at the beak, Lil is just panting, it is not hot or humid here, and inside coop is well ventaled, my other 2 girls are fine. Today I put up more perches and rearrage the inside coop a little, at first they were not happy, but seemed to settle down, went in to check on them and that is when I saw Stephie drooling and Lil panting, they are both pretty good size don't know the exact weight. They do free range when I am home, but in a fenced in yard, I do not have any new plants or fed them anything different today (Egglayer Pellets 16% protien and some scrapes). I did notice when I was cleaning the coop where Stephie perches his poop looked very dark in color, almost a black. I have not checked Lil's yet. Do you think they are so upset because I changed their coop? They have never been sick, I have Stephie and the 3 hens, all the same age and they have always been together. What could be going on, I am very concerned, I have never seen them like this.

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Changing the coop around shouldn't affect them like this. I'm not an expert, but it sounds like they ate something they shouldn't have. The dark poo can indicate the bird just ate some berries, or can also mean that its intestines are bleeding.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. If they did eat a toxic plant, you can try some kind of detox. I know molasses can work to an extent--you can mix it with their water.

If it is a poisonous plant, make sure they drink plenty of water if possible.

I hope someone else will come along who can help you more. Best of luck with your girls [​IMG]

3. Chicken Lady II

Chicken Lady II New Egg

Aug 13, 2011
    Update, and Thank you Blue Myst for your reply, this am I thought no crowing OMG, went out and all looked fine, no drooling or panting, let them out and Stephie is crowing, fine. They were eating berries that are coming out now, but they have eaten them before they are not anything new to them. going through other posts, I was reading about toads (I know nothing about them) the little girl next door said she was catching tree frogs the other day, so I wonder if they decided to try one. They are usually pretty picking about their food and do not like some things (white bread). So today I am keeping a close eye on them and watching what they pick at. If anyone can offer some suggestions that would be great, also, outside of their food and oyster shells is there something I can keep on hand for emergency supplies, i read about antibiotics, something I should get and keep on hand. I am still pretty new to this and of course I learn something new every day. Thanks!

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Toads taste nasty to a dog, I imagine they taste like crap to a chicken!

5. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    I have a Buff Orp hen who stalks and eats frogs and mice; voles, and whatever else she can fit in her gaping maw.

6. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:Which would keep just about any other animal from eating them. They're called 'fowl' for a reason, I suppose. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by