Rooster droopy and congested-no other chickens sick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bbRedMom, Jul 23, 2010.

1. bbRedMom

bbRedMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I have about 40-50 hens and pullets I was gifted after a friend lost her coop to a tornado. They are all happy, healthy, and laying like crazy (although they have backed off some in this heat)

We were also given a Silver Wydonette rooster. He was bottom rooster of three in a coop with 12 hens, so he is in heaven now.

Except...

Every few days we will go out to the coop in the morning and he is still droopy and asleep, and has clear discharge from his nose with swollen eyes. If he stick his beack in water, he wakes up really fast and kinda acts all confused, but then settles down and does his rooster thing.

Its very hot here, and we have come home to the water very low (we are buying another two 10 gallon waterers today in addition to the two we already have). Could the hens, who seem to adore him) not be letting him get anough to drink and he is dehydrated? None of the girls show any signs of sickness. In fact, most have grown feathers back and have put on weight under our care.

Any ideas?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That doesn't sound like normal behavior......I think maybe he could have a respiratory infection. Just to be safe, can you isolate him and give him some antibiotics, plus some vitamins/electrolites in his drinking water.....then you can see if he's eating and drinking.....see how is poops are......

That's what I would do. Good luck with him.

3. bbRedMom

bbRedMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    We found a small copperhead outside the coop last night. Possibe cause?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by