1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster dropped off of rafters and died, looked like he was choking...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KansasKid, Dec 21, 2010.

1. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    few minutes ago my dad was out in the barn when he heard a thud and looked to find my little rooster fluttering on the ground, i went out and his head was limp and moving around and he would flap every now and then and his mouth was wide open and looked really wet and his comb looked purplish and it kinda looked like he wasn't getting any air. It bugs me because i have no idea what it was and i'm hoping he just choked on something rather than passing on a virus but i have no idea what he could have choked on once he was up on the barn rafters. Does this sound like anything? its really worrying me because all my chickens and domestic ducks free range around each other and my domestic ducks get put up next to my ornamental ducks everynight and i have about 300 dollars worth of birds in there.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I'd do a necropsy on him to see if he looks like anything is amiss inside. It may put your mind at ease.

3. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Sounds like heart failure!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Also you might want to look up heart attacks in chickens also. Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    The only way to know for sure is to test him.
    Hate that, I'm the same way when I loose something. Worry to death for the next week or so, There are many things that could have caused it. The comb will turn a blueish purple from many things as well. But yes is usually a sign of illness, but takes days to fully develop. Had you noticed anything up to that point with him, or did it just seem sudden?
    If so, it could be a possible suffocation on something, never heard of a heart attack, but sure it's possible in domestic fowl too. I know wildish ones can have them if they get over stressed.

Worst Case with no testing (our lab is nearly 75 miles one way so I just cant do it) dose everybody with a broad spectrum antibiotic for a few days to a week to be safe, and keep a close eye out for more bluish combs. If you see more of those, you have a viral or bacterial infection in the flock.

6. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    He acted fine as far as i know, i don't pay too much attention to him and the other chickens, i just make sure there all there at night. I'm gonna keep my ducks put up for a few days and keep an eye on the rest and if they show any signs i'll go and get some antibiotic.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds like a heart attack. Dying quickly like that, I doubt if he had a contagious condition.

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:hopfully that's all it is, but like he said, he hasnt really paid close attention to him the past few days. I have had sick ones, just drop dead all of a sudden, but have been ill for days .
    In this case of uncertainty, precaution is always the best approach.
    I do hope that's all it was for you those KK

Just keep and eye on the rest for a few days to be safe

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I had a hen die like that a few years back, so sad [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by