Rooster dumps his food from feeder

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shannon84, Jun 29, 2016.

1. shannon84

shannon84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Why does he do that, should I just put his food on the ground then? Sorry I'm new with chickens

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Does he make a funny clucking sound when he does it? He may be trying to 'tidbit'. It's a behavior they do to call the hens over and check out the goodies he just 'found'.

3. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Oh OK I'm not sure if I noticed him doing the strange clucking with it, but he definitely does it when I give him treats he always gives it to the hens. but that very well could be it! Do roosters do that with the food too? Thanks for the reply!

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They do that with just about anything. My first rooster would do it with tid bit over finding dried leaves and twigs. You could practically see the girls roll their eyes at him.
    Broody hens will also do it with new chicks. So cute to see them all run over to see what mom just found.

5. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Oh my gosh that's hilarious! Well my rooster is definitely goofy so that's probably it lol. I bet that is a cute sight

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by