Rooster eager to meet his new girlfriends ???

emjay

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
I have a quite large BLR rooster who right now has one girlfriend, a SLW. I bought him 2 BLR girls. RIght now they are seeing each other through wire during the day, he dances constantly for them.
Due to his large size, I think waiting until the girls are the same size as the SL might be best.
But, generally speaking. at what age is a good age to add young pullets in with a mature roo and year old hen?
These two are about 16 weeks old, give or take a week, as they aren't from the same hatch. one is older by a week.

I had a rooster that tried to mate with 4 week old chicks. I'd go with the general rule of thumb that if it looks like they'll be able to take him, then they'll be fine, if they seem small and potentially going to get hurt when he jumps on them, keep them apart until they're big enough to take it.

I think 16 weeks is big enough. He may just dance for them and not mate with them until they are ready. My rooster just recently started mating my BCM's at 19 weeks, and I got my first egg today from one of them.

ETA: and it may just keep him occupied chasing them to give the 1 girl a break.
lol.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom