rooster eating eggs

eventhatcher

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 7, 2009
anyone have any ideas how to deal with a rooster that is eating eggs? Would like to find a solution besides offing him if possible. As well, I have two hens and 1 rooster - things have been going well until recently...one hen is refusing to come out of the nesting area ( no clutch of eggs) and I think its because she is trying to avoid the rooster - hes been after her quite abit lately. Not sure why/what started all the trouble as the trio got along well during the summer. They are free range and shut in the coop at night.
Thanks!

You could try one or all of the following:

Feed them more protein

Put golfballs in the nest box

Isolate him for awhile

Bigger coop/pen/run

Modify the nest box to have the egg roll away from where he would have access to it

Modify the next box to be smaller, enclosed, so he can't get in it to eat the egg.

Last edited:
Thank you very much! I did up the protein and added oyster shells - and they have the run of the outdoors free-ranging.
I was thinking that if I built a nesting area with seperate slots for each chicken it might work - but do you think that they will stay warm enough as winter is about to hit? (I'm in central Maine)

Back
Top Bottom